The History of Ulqin
Ulcinj is an ancient seaport.The wider area of Ulcinj has been inhabited since the Bronze Age, based on dating of Illyrian tombs (tumuli) found in the village of Zogaj, in the vicinity of Ulcinj. The town is believed to have been founded in the 5th century BC by colonists from Clochis. Illyrians lived in the region at the time as there are traces of immense Cyclopean walls still visible in the old citadel(town).In the pre-medieval period, Ulcinj was known as one of the pirate capitals of the Adriatic Sea.In 163 BC, the Romans captured Colchinium from the Illyrian tribe of Olciniates and renamed the town Olcinium (aka Ulcinium) after the tribe. It is said that in the Middle Ages in Ulqin was prisoned Miguel Cervantes and he wrote here the famous book "Don Quixote". In 1405 the Venetians conquered the town. The Venetians maintained control until 1571, when the Ottoman Turks conquered Dulcigno and the remainder of Albania Veneta. It remained within the Ottoman domain for over 300 years, during which time its far-reaching reputation as a lair of pirates was established.In 1867, Ulcinj became a kaza of the Skodra Sanjak of Rumeli veyalet. After the Congress of Berlin in 1878, borders between Montenegro and the Ottoman Empire were redrawn, with Ulcinj becoming part of Montenegro. Although prepared to cede Plav, Gusinje and the Albanian villages of Grude, Hoti and Kastrati, Turkey still wanted to retain Ulqin. Ultimately Montenegro, supported by a western Europe, resisted and on 30 November 1880 the town became de jure part of the Montenegro which achieved recognition, but de facto only in 1880 after Great Power occupation.